It is a small perennial herb from the Scrophulariaceae
family. The rhizome of Picrorhiza has been traditionally used to treat worms, constipation, low fever, scorpion sting, asthma and ailments affecting the liver.Benefits:
- It alters the structure of the outer membrane of the hepatocytes in such a way as to prevent penetration of the liver toxin into the interior of the cell.
- It stimulates the action of nucleolar polymerase A, resulting in ribosomal protein synthesis and, thus stimulates the regenerative ability of the liver and formation of new hepatocytes.
- It exhibits anti-inflammatory action on a variety of inflammatory models.
- It modulates liver enzyme level.
- It decreases level of lipid peroxidases and hydroperoxidases, free radical producing agents.
- It shows curative activity against hepatotoxins like thioacetamide, galaclosamine and carbontetrachloride.